Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kidney Doc Update

went to my doctors today for another kidney apt. Things are going well. I did get some sad news that they are counting my right kidney as "dead" before it was just kinda functioning, ahh well. A big problem I've been having is the large amounts of protein in my urine, a normal adult should have less that 250mg I was producing over 2000mg. That was back in May, they since put me on 2 new meds, one in april and after 6 months of that my protein is down to 900mg so I got some more blood work etc done today to see if the 2nd new med is doing its job too. I will get results later on. We also talked about my diagnosis. with all the Nephrologists I've seen no one has diagnosised me. This one finally did! I have Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) is a type of Glomerular Disease, one of many diseases that affect kidney function by attacking the glomeruli, the tiny units within the kidney where blood is cleaned. Glomerulosclerosis (gloh-MAIR-yoo-loh-skleh-ROH-sis) describes the scarring or hardening of the tiny blood vessels within the kidney.
with that being said these new meds I'm on seem to be helping! We did talk more about a kidney bipsy but he stressed he didn't feel it nessesary and it was really my choice, I opted for no biopsy. Too many risks involved in that and with just having one good kidney I'm staying away from the operating table, thank you very much! ha ha. I feel great and my blood pressure read was fabulous! 120/80!!!! So that is my update! Hooray!

0 comments: